Saturday, January 5, 2013

Uragiri Wa Boku No Namae Wo Shitteiru



Betrayal Knows My Name.

Judging by the title, I was left puzzled on whether I should watch the anime. The big punch line is obviously Betrayal (Uragiri). So, I expected the anime to have a gloom doom atmosphere + tears rolling down cheek moments and most probably someone DIED. I was very reluctant since sad stories are enough to make me miserable. Life is already sad as it is so why indulge more right? But, since I have a thing for sword fighting animes, I decided to give it a go.


I'm glad that I did and Uraboku has been one of my top favourite since.
 

Uraboku revolves around the life of Sakurai Yuki, an orphan with special empathy like powers who is very kind and caring towards others. Yet, he is deeply lonely since being abandoned as an infant have left him wondering the purpose of his existence. His life then takes an interesting turn when he was saved from being run down by a van (or was it a truck) by the mysterious silver moonlit eyes Duras (demon), Zess a.k.a Luka Crosszeria.


Yuki is actually the reincarnation of Giao Clan's God's Light whose power is vital for fighting the betrayer Giao Reiga, who presently happened to be reincarnated as Yuki's somewhat older brother as they grew up together at the orphanage. Yuki is unable to recollect his past life. So, unbeknownst to him, Yuki was also Luka's master and past lover (Yuki was a girl previously). Kyaaaaa! So, thats the overall idea..


Watching the anime really tugged my heart since Yuki's suffering is portrayed really well. Constantly targeted by the enemy, he does seem like the damsel in distress (and he cries a lot) but he compensates them by healing his fellow rescuers' wounds and inflicting them onto himself. Dealing with the fact that he have to fight Reiga, Yuki's sacrifice left me teary throughout the anime and made his place as my favourite character.


The romance in this anime is not your typical 'boy meet girl and they rode to the sunset' cliche. It swims along the forbidden and tragic love story since Yuki is presently a boy and have no recollection of his past life. Yet, Luka stands firm to protect Yuki which made me want to bawl my eyes out.


Personally, Uraboku was definitely a good anime (Girls may dig it but guys maybe not so much). Overall, it has outstanding soundtracks that matched well with awesome fight scenes, great voice acting and a beautiful story. And yes, it made me miserable for days...

Only I know your pain
Your uncertainty
Your loneliness
If only we could be together forever
I'll say it as many times as you wish
I will not betray you


~ The manga is even better ~

No comments:

Post a Comment